Build Responsibly

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permits are required for any development in the City of Clive. Our building codes and ordinances regulate construction within Special Flood Hazard Areas. Without these codes and ordinances, federally-backed flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) would not be available. Any development in the floodplain without a permit is illegal and should be reported to the Community Development Department at (515) 223-6221. If you are considering a fence, building a deck, moving a furnace, or installing flood proofing measures, our staff can provide insight on your unique situation and walk you through the Flood Plain Development Application.

Participation in the NFIP requires that the City have Floodplain Management ordinances that regulate development  in the 1% annual chance (100-year) floodplain.  The City of Clive requires all new structures be built at least 1 foot above the 1% annual chance flood elevation (100 year flood).  Please click here to be directed to the City's Floodplain Development zoning ordinance.

Community Development Department staff are available to visit your property to review flooding issues, drainage and stormwater problems, and provide one-on-one suggestions to property owners pertaining to development, renovation, and flood protection measures.

If you believe that construction activity with the floodplain or a drainage way is occurring without permits or inspections, please contact Community Development at (515) 223-6221. 

For information on avoiding and repairing flooded basements and evaluating flood-damaged electrical work, please click here for the Construction Services Division's Construction Services Corner.

Elevation certificates shall be required to be submitted by an Iowa State licensed land surveyor for all new and substantially improved structures located with the floodplain.  Additionally, an elevation certificate may also be required for the issuance of new flood insurance policies from the National Flood Insurance Program. 

Elevation certificates are prepared by locally licensed surveyors and submitted to the Community Development department as a requirement of the building permit process. Once submitted, the Community Development department keeps a copy of the certificate on file with the property records.

A list of the elevation certificates that the Community Development Department has on file is attached here. You will need to contact a locally licensed surveyor if we do not have one on file and you need an elevation certificate prepared for your property.  

View Full Site